PIABC’s Standard for Accredited Packaging Professional Competence
From 01 February 2014, PIABC’s Standard for Accredited Packaging Professional Competence will be available to candidates with at least 5 years experience in packaging focused occupations and a nationally recognised packaging qualification.
PIABC’s standard was modelled on the Engineering Council’s UK Standard for Professional Engineering Competence and will allow successful candidates the designation APkgPrf.
There are five headline competences for the PIABC’s Standard for Accredited Packaging Professional Competence, each of which is divided into sub-sections.
- Use a combination of general and specialist packaging knowledge and practice to optimise the application of existing and emerging methodologies.
- Apply targeted knowledge, expertise and methods to the analysis and solution of packaging problems.
- Lead others in any part of the packaging supply chain.
- Demonstrate effective interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrate a personal commitment to professional packaging standards, recognising obligations to society, the profession and the environment.
- At least five years' experience in packaging-focussed occupations;
- A nationally recognised professional packaging qualification;
- A commitment to a minimum of 35 hours continuing professional development (CPD) per year if in full time employment (pro rata if employed part time). Such a commitment to be subject to sample auditing;
- Submission of a Professional Accreditation Report showing career development;
- Continuing membership of a professional membership body (e.g. Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining (IOM3) and through that of The Packaging Society).
The above will be used as the means to assess applicants against PIABC’s Standard for Accredited Packaging Professional Competence. Once accredited, packaging professionals are able to use the designation APkgProf.
For more information, please contact the PIABC Team.